The Welwyn Festival committee organised a 'Charities Cheque Distribution Evening' to hand over £5,000 to the 10 charities supported by the 2013 Welwyn Festival Charity Fund.
- Digswell Place Group Riding for the Disabled, helping disabled children and adults form friendships with horses, and experience woodland walks their wheelchairs cannot reach
- Canine Partners, providing dogs to help stroke victims and people with other similar problems to carry out their everyday needs and give intangible moral support
- Isabel Hospice for people with severe life limiting illnesses, and support to their families too
- The Welwyn Friendship Club for over 50/60's
- Knebworth Link Up Lunch Club for over 70/80's
- The Fireman's Charity
- Herts Air Ambulance
- SERV (Volunteer motorcycle blood and breast milk deliveries to local hospitals, etc)
- Jubilee House Care Trust, for mentally and physically disabled young people
- Stuart Community Centre
The amount raised and donated this century totals £38,000, thanks to all the visitors and participants at various Welwyn Festival events since 2000. Our 2013 sponsors were Welwyn Parish Council, the Allotments Association, Strutt and Parker, Netherdown Developments and St Mary's Church.
We are all looking forward to the 40th Welwyn Festival in 2014 and organising this has already begun! Ideas on the table include: Gladiators at Roman Day, a 10km Charity Run, a gig featuring local bands, an Anniversary Ball, fireworks and a Pram Race (if road closures can be agreed - several took place in the 70s and 80s - a popular event that we are frequently being asked to revive)
Make a note of the dates:
Welwyn Festival 40th Anniversary, Friday 20th June to Sunday 29th June, 2014